The Ladies Auxiliary to the Troy Township Volunteer Fire Department was formed as a non-profit making social organization.
Chief Hayes passed away and Vince Creed was elected Chief. In the next two years, two additions were made to the original fire barn; an east side addition in 1957 and another section added to the back end of the barn in 1959. During this period a 1949 Ford 500 GPM pumper was purchased for $5776.
Kerry Sheridan was elected Fire Chief. That year the department purchased shirts, hats, and badges from Darley & Co., and these were first worn at the Farm Progress Show held at the Don Baltz Farm. Troy was instrumental in organizing the Des Plaines Valley Firefighters Mutual Aid Association and became a charter member. The department purchased a 1961 Chevy panel truck from Speicher & Gaylord's junkyard, which was equipped with red and green flashing lights, and a mysteriously donated generator.
1963 was a monumental year for the Troy Fire Department. In April the first Spring Dance was held at the Hob Nob. On December 14th, the first spaghetti supper was held at the fire barn; and the Troy Fire Protection District was formed. The latter would enable the fire department to be eligible for tax dollars.
The first district trustees were George Ward, Martin Haley, and Claude Beguin.
In March of 1964 the second Spring Dance was held at the Harwood Post, Old Oak Grove on Larkin Avenue. The dance later became known as the Troy Fireman's Ball. Also in 1964, the department held its first training meeting, its first horse show was held at the Troy A.C. Grounds, and it put a second Dodge Tanker into service.
In 1964 an election was held and the residents of the Village of Shorewood voted to become a part of the newly formed Troy Fire District. Historically, James Ingalls, Henry Fatland, Hank Bauer, Ken Bottomley, Ron Krabbe, Bob Schwartz, Roger Barrowman, George Muentnich, John Scheidt, Joe Baltz, and Steve Schwartz have been appointed trustees for the District.
In June 1965, the Ladies' Auxiliary gave the department $700, (proceeds from the Auxiliary’s annual Fireman's Ball) which was used to purchase a Ford 4-wheel drive grass fire truck (2218). Through the continued efforts of the Ladies Auxiliary, the proceeds from the annual Fireman's Ball would provide the men with such things as auto extrication tools, a base radio, an air compressor, orange fire coats, and walkie-talkies.
Also in 1965, the men participated in a 140-team bowling tournament sponsored by the Romeoville Fire Department. The Highlight of the tournament was when Paul Barnes hit Dick Anderson on the head with a bowling ball. Troy brought home a trophy - and Dick brought home a knot on his head.
A third addition was built onto the fire barn during 1965, and a brand new 750 GPM high pressure pumper with an 800 gallon tank (2213) was brought home from Alexis, Illinois by Chief Sheridan. The snub-nose Dodge tanker was also put into service in 1965. The Des Plaines Valley Fire Fighters Mutual Aid Association elected Chief Sheridan their president that year.
In October 1966, a dance was held at the fire barn for firemen and auxiliary members and their spouses. Thanksgiving morning a fire destroyed Earl and Len Meyer's barn.
During the 1968 Chicago riots, Fire Chief Sheridan and Assistant Fire Chief Paul Barnes dispatched a unit to stand by for Engine Co. 116 at 53rd and Woods in Chicago. Troy firefighters assisting Sheridan and Barnes were Gil Anderson, Don Schuck, Richard Anderson, Bob Skocy, Keith Condon, Harry Litchfield, and Jerry Bailey. Troy received a plaque from Mayor Daley and the City of Chicago thanking the firefighters for their service and the use of Troy #2 pumper.
In August 1968, a 90 ft. crane was used to set a 10 HP siren atop a 75 ft. pole in front of the fire barn.
In March 1969, the firemen played the Shorewood Lions Club in a benefit basketball game for Leroy Fox. The firemen won 40-15.
In 1970, the Exchange Club of Joliet presented a plaque to Chief Kerry Sheridan in honor of the Troy Volunteer Fire Dept. for "15 years of dedicated service to the people of Troy Township." Also in 1970, Truck #9, (2217) a 2800 gallon tanker was put into service. #9 was the largest in the area.
In 1971 Troy broke away from traditional black fire turnout coats, and highly visibility orange hypalon turnout coats were purchased.
Also, in 1971 and continuing to the present, JJC fire science classes are held at the Troy Fire Station, which is a designated satellite campus for Joliet Junior College.
On October 16, 1973, six area youth formed the Troy Fire Dept. Cadet Program with the aid of the firefighters. The program was formed because of the interest shown by these youth in the fire service. The program has become a valuable preliminary training for future firefighters. The original members were Tim Hurley, John Janssen, Steve Schwartz, Steve Skocy, Denzil Smothers and Larry Wagner.
In 1974, 2212 was purchased from Darley & Co., a 1000 GPM pumper. It was the first fire apparatus in the area to be painted high visibility lime green. Later all of Troy’s apparatus were repainted lime green.
In 1975, station wagon 2203 and a Chevrolet rescue unit 2216 were put into service. Also, the 20th anniversary celebration was held at the old fire barn.
In the fall of 1976, the east addition of the old fire barn was torn down and construction began on the new fire station. When the truck bay area was completed, apparatus were moved into the new station and the rest of the old barn was torn down to make room for the kitchen, meeting room, restrooms, and the District office.
The new building was dedicated in September 1977. 2210 and the rescue boats were also put into service in 1977.
2221 was put into service in 1979.
In 1980, the 25th Anniversary was held in the new station. The Ladies Auxiliary presented marble etched plaques depicting the history of the department.
In 1980, the Troy Volunteer Emergency Medical Service was established. 2219, an American LaFrance 100 ft. Ladder Truck was acquired.
Troy Fire Protection District Emergency Ambulance started with its first call May 13, 1980.
Read more about the Ambulance History (at right)
One of the area’s largest combination pumper tanker was put into service; 2211, a 1250 gpm Pierce Arrow Diesel went into service in 1982. The District purchased the Ward Electric building and lots for future expansion. 2216, a heavy-duty rescue truck, was put into service.
During the summer of 1985, a new larger siren was erected. In July of 1985, history was made when the 30th Anniversary Committee designed a new patch and logo for the department.
The first full-time EMTs staff the ambulance at the fire station 24 hours a day.
The EMTs become paramedics, beginning what is now over 30 years of Advanced Life Support to the residents of Shorewood and Troy Township.
Kerry Sheridan becomes the District’s first full-time Fire Chief.
In January 2003, staffing goes from 4 firefighters per day to 5, and in January 2004 from 5 to 6
Fire Station 2 is opened at 25454 W. Seil Rd. and staffed with 4 firefighters 24 hours a day.
2212 is retired in the fall, and replaced with a new Pierce 1250 GPM pumper with a 3000 gallon tank. Troy changed the Fire District logo, keeping the nozzle and Troy and U.S. flags in the center.